dorie’s chocolate cupcakes

I was excited all day about baking the chocolate cupcakes that Clara chose for TWD. I almost always look forward to baking, but I was downright giddy this time. With the variety of desserts I make lately, I guess I forgot that classic chocolate cake is my favorite!

Clara also suggested that we decorate these for Halloween. Ack…even simple cake decorating inevitably ends up as a huge mess for me, and I’m incapable of making things easy on myself. My six little cupcakes required four colors of frosting, one of which I didn’t actually have food coloring for (orange – I had to mix yellow and red) and another that involved chocolate (black – to give it a head start toward being dark enough). And I am far from an expert cake decorator, so my design options were limited to the few piping tips that I know how to use properly.

The cake itself was a little disappointing. I was getting worried that I would start to sound like a Negative Nellie when it comes to Dorie’s recipes, but this time it seems that a lot of people ended up with dry cupcakes that were a little too tame in chocolate flavor. Not that they were inedible or anything, but Dave and I didn’t need a side-by-side comparison to recognize that we like my other recipe a lot more. One nice thing, since it took a few days for us to eat all of them, was that these seemed to get denser and fudgier with time instead of tasting stale.

Whether I think it’s the best chocolate cake ever or not, I’m always happy to eat cupcakes. I made my favorite Easy Vanilla Buttercream instead of Dorie’s ganache frosting since I needed something that would pipe well. To check out Dorie’s recipe, go to Clara’s blog.

Comments

1. Yours look great!

I thought they needed more chocolate flavor.

2. CB says:

What you talking about?? You have great piping skills. I love all your cupcakes but I think the mummy is my favorite. Thanks for baking with me this week!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

3. You should really try the glaze for these…..I used semi-sweet rather than bittersweet and it was really fantastic! They look really cute, though!

4. manggy says:

Hey, I think your decorations are cute! I’d certainly enjoy them (just leave ‘em in the fridge for a few days before, though ;)

Thanks for the link to the icing comparisons. Very informative! Though I LOVE choc cake with seven-minute icing!

5. Candy says:

I did like the glaze. It was pretty easy. Love your mummy cakes.

6. Erin says:

I found them to be dry too. I’ll have to give your other recipe a try. I think they look really cute. My favorite is the one decorated like a pumpkin :)

7. super cute–i love the mummies, especially! i agree, not that they weren’t good, but not the world’s best choco cake.

8. kim says:

your piping skills are awesome! they look wonderful… esp the mummies :) sorry the cakes were dry for you,though.

9. Those all look great, but I have to say, the mummy idea is genius! So cute! I will definitely have to try that one. Great job! Sorry they were dry – I know a lot of people had that problem. Mine weren’t dry at all, but I only baked them about 20 minutes and I weighed the flour (scant 4oz). Hope that helps if you ever decide to make these again!

10. Stephanie says:

Those are the cutest cupcakes! I LOVE the little mummies-so creative!

11. Aria says:

Darn! I can’t get the link to work for your recipe. :)

12. Rebecca says:

I loooooove the mummies! So cute. This recipe was nothing to write home about, but your cupcakes are adorable.

13. Your decorations are so cute! As always, wonderful photos too. I just want to crawl into my computer and grab one!

14. Caitlin says:

Love the different decorations. Isn’t it weird that so many of Dorie’s cakes taste better after a day or two?

15. Lucy says:

Your cupcakes look great! The Mummy one is my favourite – so cute!

16. Mary says:

I totally agree..I thought it was only OK…not Dorie’s best….
    Fellow Chocolate Fan,
    Mary

17. bunnies4buddha says:

Make room on the bandwagon…I agree the mummies are super cute!

18. Karen says:

Those are super cute!!!

19. Tracey says:

Love your cupcakes, especially the mummies! Good for you on taking the time and effort to decorate these. I really wanted to color some frosting orange to decorate mine, but just lacked the motivation.

20. peggy says:

Oh your decorations are adorable! They are the cutest. I love the peek-a-boo eyes. Great job.

21. Jules says:

Sorry the cakes were disappointing. They look lovely!

22. chefsquire says:

I love how you decorated them, especially the mummy, very original! I agree with you though, the cakes themselves were disappointing, especially considering the effort that went into them.

23. Janet says:

These are very cute. The link for the other recipe doesn’t seem to work and I can’t seem to find it on your site. I’d be curious to see what it is.

Janet – Oops, I totally screwed up that link. It’s fixed now.

25. Teanna says:

The cake was disappointing but those decorations are SO cute!

26. Audrey says:

I love the mummies!

27. Ally says:

I love them, how festive!

28. Steph says:

I know what you mean. I think it’s hard to admit when recipes aren’t as good as you expect them to be. The only source I feel like I can truely trust is from Cook’s illustrated… although I’m interested in their dark chocolate cupcakes (which don’t require a mixer and it’s all done my hand) Honestly, I would rather pull out the mixer for a more superior product than have something that’s just easy to make (sometimes it’s just impossible to cream butter and sugar by hand!)

Btw.. I was a little disappointed with these cupcakes. They weren’t horrible, but they weren’t amazing either..