lime meltaways

copy-of-img_8545

I’ve gotten into the annoying habit of buying a bag of limes when I only need one lime because they’re so darn expensive if you buy them singularly. And then I have to get creative trying to use up the rest of the limes. See, I was practically forced to make lime cookies.

copy-of-img_8446

There’s nothing complicated about the recipe, although for a few seconds, I wasn’t sure whether the lime juice was going to mix with the butter. You know, fat and water repelling and all. It mixed in.

copy-of-img_8447

Once the cookies come out of the oven, the recipe recommends putting them in a bag with powdered sugar and doing some shaking, until they’re evenly coated with sugar. I don’t know about this. They’re pretty fragile. Seems like you’re asking for broken cookies with this method. I just gave each one a quick dip in a bowl of powdered sugar.

copy-of-img_8480

I love lime-flavored stuff, and these were no exception. I wouldn’t have minded if they had been a little more limey – I might add just a little extra lime zest next time. Another great thing about these – this is one of those convenient recipes where you can leave the dough in the freezer until you need it. Fresh cookies with no effort!

copy-of-img_8542

Key Lime Meltaways (adapted from Martha Stewart via Smitten Kitchen)

Makes 5 dozen

You can use either regular or Key limes.

The dough, shaped into logs, can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.

12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (4 ounces) powdered sugar
grated zest of 4 tiny or 2 large key limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (9.375 ounces) all-purpose flour (a.k.a. 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and ⅓ cup (1.33 ounces) powdered sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Between two 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1¼-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour.

4. Heat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining ⅔ cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, just three or four minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

copy-of-img_8549

Comments

1. Kelsey says:

I made these for a holiday cookie exchange party a couple of years ago. I’m so glad you made them, too. They are so delicious!

2. Shari says:

I’ve made these once before, and now I’m inspired to make them again. Your photos are stunning. The ribbon looks great!

3. belinda says:

Thank You.
    I, too, love anything which is lime-flavored; this recipe sounds and looks as if it will become a favorite.

I enjoy cooking and baking and cannot understand why everyone does not feel the same.

Being able to mix and freeze the dough in batches is a plus. I try to do this with almost everything I cook/bake:
    Make 2; one for dinner and one for the freezer!

Thanks again for sharing this treat.

belinda

4. manggy says:

Gosh, now I wish we had fresh limes here year-round! They’re quite uncommon :( I too love lime flavors– too bad it’s usually in the form of Jell-O!

5. nina says:

These photos are making my resistance melt away!!!!!

6. Katie says:

Yummmmy! You had me at lime! And then, meltaways. lol. I so love those pics with the ribbon! SO creative and beautiful!

7. Stacy says:

*delurk*

I loooooove lime! Usually I just come to ogle, but I might have to make these. My new trick with cookies is to make one or two pans at home first, then I take a small container of dough if I go visiting anyone, I commandeer their oven and bake a fresh sheet of cookies that I can safely leave there. No one has complained yet, I get to share, and it prevents me from eating all of them myself.

Stacy – What a great idea! Everyone loves fresh cookies.

9. colleen says:

These are beautiful! Recipe sounds great and I love the photos!

10. RecipeGirl says:

Bridget,
    This post could SERIOUSLY be in a magazine. The photos are fabulous (seriously!)

I love the way you worked the ribbon into the pics, and even the sliced roll looks fab.

Have I boosted your confidence enough today ???! :)

Anyway, the cookies themselves look yummy, and like you… I always opt for the costco bag of limes for the same reason!

11. bunnies4buddha says:

I want to know if I can eat the ribbon :P Also if I ever have extra limes hanging around they go into a crisp gin and tonic.

12. Kevin says:

Those look good! Nice photos!

13. Cortney says:

Yumm! I’m going to make these for my cookie exchange next week.

14. shivani says:

can simple sweet limes be used for this recipe?

shivani – I used regular (Persian) limes, not Key limes, when I made these cookies, and I was definitely happy with the results!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Az eredeti receptet itt találtam: The Way the Cookie Crumbles [...]

2. [...] (Use Real Butter) Lime Meltaways (Two Peas and Their Pod) Tangerine Meltaways (Technicolor Kitchen) More Lime Meltaways (The Way the Cookie Crumbles) Posted in Cookies and [...]