buttery jam cookies

copy-of-img_0512

I’m a member of Tuesdays with Dorie because it encourages me to bake often and to keep trying new recipes. But I also like how it challenges me to be creative about presentation. When I’m writing a blog entry about the same recipe as hundreds of other people, I want to think of some sort of display that will look impressive or original. This is the real challenge for me.

copy-of-img_0507

Not that square cookies is the most unique presentation ever. I’d heard that the cookies hold their shape in the oven really well, so I thought this might be a good cookie to use a cookie stamp on. But I don’t have one. My almost-3-year-old nephew is just starting to learn shapes, so this idea came from him. For the circles, I used spoonfuls of dough like the recipe calls for, and for everything else, I rolled the dough into about a ½-inch thickness and then used a knife to cut the shapes.

copy-of-img_0510

The recipe was very easy. Just like a standard cookie recipe, the butter and sugar are creamed together, the egg and vanilla are added, and then jam is added before the pre-mixed dry ingredients are mixed in just until blended. The dough tasted pretty good, which is always a good sign.

copy-of-img_0517

The cookies were decent. As soon as I saw that the recipe only called for ¼ teaspoon of salt for 2 cups of flour, I was concerned. I’m finding that I like my baked foods on the salty side. I added more, about ⅛ teaspoon, but I still would have liked the cookies to be saltier. They seemed a little bland. It didn’t help that I couldn’t taste the ginger at all. My powdered ginger is very old, so I’m sure that’s why. I suppose I should break down and replace it with fresher stuff.

copy-of-img_0522

So they didn’t knock my socks off, but I’m glad I tried them. Dorie has a lot of fun ideas for cookies that I wouldn’t think of on my own. Heather has the recipe posted.

One year ago: Braised White Beans with Tomatoes, Zucchini and Garlic.   This is still one of my favorite meals.

copy-of-img_0530

Comments

1. VeggieGirl says:

Love the shapes!!

2. Caitlin says:

I agree – there’s a lot of pressure to have unique presentation when a few hundred people are baking the exact same thing! I like the shapes though, especially the triangles. Not sure why, I just do :)

3. Steph says:

I know what you mean.. I wish I was as creative as you are. I was just thinking about how my cookies would look as blobs ( as soon as I bake them.. they’re still in the freezer). Your cookies look really great and so do your picitures! I totally agree with you on the salt, I ususally use salted butter and almost 1/2 tsp of salt per 2 cups of flour in cookies, but adjust depending on the amount of sugar. I definitely don’t want to revisit my saltless baked good experiences.. haha

4. Kelly D says:

I think you succeeded with the unique presentation.

5. Karen says:

Very creative!! Love how you made your cookies….hmmm I might have to copy!

6. Erin says:

I love your shapes! Even though they weren’t the greatest cookies ever, you did a great job with the presentation.

7. Peggy says:

I can’t believe you actually made these into shapes. Mine were like little puff balls. But I love them. Very tasty. Yours are very creative!

8. cookie geometry–love it!

9. Joelen says:

You always manage to have beautiful photos even if the recipes weren’t as good. Cute shapes!

10. Tracey says:

Very creative with the shapes! Good job.

11. rainbowbrown says:

Very cool. I dig the little rectangles.

12. manggy says:

Aww! I just melted when you said that you were also helping your nephew with shapes! :D Of course, it doesn’t hurt to distinguish yourself in the process. I went through my dry ginger pretty quickly– the recipes I used it in called for amazing amounts of it! (Well, they were gingerbread, lol.)

13. Jules says:

Those look cool. Nice work!

14. Love the idea of various shapes! Very cute!

15. Jaime says:

looks like you had fun w/the shapes! using ginger preserves gave mine a better ginger flavor. adding crystallized ginger bits would make them even better i think