honey-wheat cookies

The problem with wheat germ cookies is that my mind focuses on the wheat germ part instead of the cookie part. So then these are healthy and therefore perfectly acceptable to eat with my tea – before breakfast. Wheat germ, people! Whole grains! Cookie schmookie.

Plus – they’re so good! No joke. I had my doubts too, especially after several weeks of baking delicious chocolate treats for Tuesdays with Dorie. Wheat germ in cookies? But the texture is so perfectly soft and chewy. The lemon was evident but somewhat subtle. The wheat germ added just a taste of bitterness. I was surprised to find that the honey was the strongest flavor, which I love because often the flavor of natural sugars gets lost in the oven.

Michelle chose these great cookies for TWD. She has the recipe posted.

One year ago: Devil’s Food White Out Cake

Comments

1. Michelle says:

Thank you for baking with me this week. Im glad you liked the cookies…they look so good!

2. Jodie says:

Everyone says they’re good, but I chickened out!! Guess I’ll have to try them after all.

3. Susan says:

Your cookies look fabulous! I thought these were wonderful. Couldn’t stop eating them!

4. Dribs says:

How sweet are these? Say, relative to a fig newton or vanilla wafer. The sugar levels seem pretty low. They sound really good and I’m thinking they might be nice to make at work – I’m a nanny for a toddler who recently discovered the wonder of cookies, but we’re trying (hoping) to limit his sweets. Thanks!

5. Tracey says:

I was skeptical about these too but they were definitely tasty! I hadn’t considered having them for breakfast but sounds perfectly acceptable to me!

6. Stacy says:

The obvious solution is to call them “biscuits,” Brit-style, thus making them totally acceptable with tea.

I’m not a huge cookie person, but I am intrigued and have all the ingredients (the bigger battle).

Dribs – Looking at the recipe, the sugar level does seem on the low side, and the fat is lower than your average cookie as well. However, I actually thought these were quite sweet – too much so, if anything. You might even be able to reduce the white sugar by a tablespoon or two. I think they’d be a great compromise for a treat for a toddler since they’re not nearly as bad for you as many cookies.

8. Manggy says:

I’m quite intrigued by these cookies – I’ve neither seen nor tasted wheat germ before. (It’s kind of… bitter??) But a bunch of you guys have sworn by these cookies, so I’m dying to try some!

9. Dolce says:

I saw the recipe on your blog and another one too. These look great… can’t wait to try them!

10. pamela says:

I love your little cookies on that gingham print. So cute! The honey and the lemon were really very good in these. Great job.

11. wheat germ gets a bad rap, but it’s really tasty! i loved the honey flavor, too!

12. I can’t believe these healthy cookies are being loved this much! First ones I’ve ever wanted to bake and try!

13. Margaret says:

Pretty little cookies. Love the pic with the single cookie off by it self from the ‘crowd’.