dulce de leche duos

There’s a suspicious connection between the recipes I’ve made for Tuesdays with Dorie that stand out as my favorites and how good of a mood I was in when I ate them. The brioche tart – the morning of 4th of July, one of my favorite holidays. Pecan pie – Christmas with my family, during a game of Apples to Apples. I made the thumbprint cookies on a particularly nice Saturday afternoon. The pattern is broken with these cookies, because as weather.com informed me, “THE POLLEN FORECAST FOR [MY] AREA IS VERY HIGH”, and I had the sinus headache to prove it.

But these cookies are sort of perfect. They’re really just chocolate chip cookies with dulce de leche substituting for a portion of the sugar.  Also, of course, without the chocolate, and sans chips is exactly how I prefer my dough. (Yes, the dough is a priority.) The milk caramel gives these a butterscotch flavor that usually takes days of refrigerating the dough to achieve, and the soft dough baked into perfectly chewy tender cookies.

The cookies were so good that they didn’t even need to be topped with more dulce de leche, which is good because I ran out after I made just a few scantily-filled sandwiches. Although I have to admit that the extra decadence of the sandwich cookies was…extra decadent.

Jodie chose these cookies for TWD and has the recipe posted. I strongly recommend using 1 teaspoon salt (which is on par with most chocolate chip cookie recipes) instead of the ¼ teaspoon in the original recipe. The sweet caramely cookies really benefit from the salty balance.

One year ago: French Yogurt Cake

Comments

1. Jackie says:

The blog/link you posted doesn’t seem to have the recipe for these cookies up. Is there somewhere else we could find them? I would LOVE to make these today.

Jackie – Jodie has the recipe up now! Enjoy!

3. These look amazing! I agree with adding salt to sweet things, it brings out the flavors and adds great contrast!

4. Heather says:

Wow really impressed with how your cookies look. I like the addition of more salt too.

5. Wonderful cookies.

Mine spread like my hips after eating them.

6. Beth says:

I liked the cookies alone, as well! Great job :-)

7. mike says:

Agreed -these were fantastic by themselves. Yours look so nice and perfectly round – mine flattened like pancakes – even after chilling. But no worries – they’re too good to complain about how thick or thin! Beautiful duos!

8. mary says:

It sounds like we like the same type of chocolate chip cookie dough (without the chocolate). I did think the dough tasted like that, but mine didn’t spread at all. Yours look lovely!

9. CB says:

I concur with the Queen of Salt. I have the privilege of following Bridget on twitter and when she suggested more salt I made sure I wrote that little tidbit down in my cookbook then and there so I wouldn’t forget. I think upping the salt definitely kept it from crossing the “too sweet” line that other TWD bakers mentioned. PS- B, I feel ya pain on the spring allergies. I have the boxes of empty kleenex all over my house to prove it. Stupid Spring!
    -CB

10. Jodie says:

Glad you liked them! Thanks for catching my mistake!

11. Teanna says:

Your photos are so gorgeous! Do you use natural light? Your lighting is always so perfect every time!!!! Gorgeous!

12. Susan says:

Your cookies look great! I have to make these, and soon! :)

Teanna – Thank you! Unfortunately, I don’t have much advice, because lately I’m all over the place with the type of light I use. I do depend heavily on my external flash. When there’s natural light, I use it, although I sometimes supplement with the external flash. I also do a lot (probably too much) photo editing to whiten up the white areas of a photo. Oh, and I take most of my pictures on a piece of white display board. I have some details of the set-up and equipment I use on my Food Photography Basics page.

14. Tracey says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only person who prefers chocolate chip cookies without the chips – I was starting to think I was alone in that opinion :) I loved these cookies on their own, but sandwiched with the dulce they were way too sweet. I upped the salt a bit but next time I’ll try using more.

15. Leslie says:

Yummy! I love your analogy of chocolate chip cookies without the chips.

16. Lynne says:

Your pics ARE fabulous! And on the no-chips cookie thing? I like them in cookies, but I prefer the straight up dough without! Not that I eat a lot of dough…usually… :-)

17. Alicia says:

My Colombian cousin is getting a big batch of these to welcome his new baby boy! Thanks!

18. tia says:

they were a hit with us too!!! nice job :)
    i like them without DDL too!

19. Marthe says:

Loved the cookies on their own, but didn’t care much for them with the filling: I feel it made them too sweet.

20. pamela says:

I’ll have to make a note to try extra salt next time. The cookies look great, and I agree…I loved the cookies all alone as well.

21. Margaret says:

these ARE sweet. I’ll have to try more salt next time. They look perfect. And I like my dough plain usually. THis dough was in danger of being gone BEFORE I even baked the cookies.