tender shortcakes

Dave and I ate dessert first this weekend, but not in the fun-loving, live life to its fullest, carefree kind of way. More in the ‘it’s too hot outside to grill dinner until the sun goes down’ kind of way. 110 degrees, people. I told you I live in the desert.

But whatever, I got to eat strawberry shortcake for dinner, so I’m not complaining. With a tender biscuit, sweet berries, and silky whipped cream, what is there to complain about? Especially since we have air conditioning. Otherwise I have a feeling I’d be doing a lot of complaining, shortcakes for dinner or not.

Cathy chose this recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie, and she has it posted. I used cake flour for half of the flour and doubled the salt.

One year ago: Parisian Strawberry Tartlets
Two years ago: Strawberry Tart

I see a pattern here…

Comments

1. Julie says:

Mmmmm. Dessert for dinner? It’s a win/win!

2. Jennifurla says:

Those look so great!

3. Chaya says:

It is interesting that you made strawberry desserts for the past two years and again, this year. Must be strawberry season.

These make a great breakfast also. Enjoy them.

4. Wei-Wei says:

Shortcakes are amazing. Especially with strawberries. And cream. And especially for dinner. :D

Wei-Wei

5. cindy harris says:

Every post on your blog inspires me. I’ve learned so much from your photography helps. The shortcakes were also delish.

6. mike says:

They were good – even at 55 degrees and rain! Your berries look wonderfully juicy – and heck – I would have these for breakfast too (maybe without the whipped cream) or maybe with! Nicely done!

7. looks like a good dinner to me! stay cool!

8. Caitlin says:

Shortcakes for dinner? Um, yes please! Mine were breakfast :) Just perfection. And your weather makes me glad that Bakersfield is currently “unseasonably cool,” aka 95*. *shudder*

9. mary says:

Breakfast, lunch, dinner–I’m not fussy. I’d eat this any time at all! Your strawberries and shortcake both look fabulous!

10. Tracey says:

Agreed – what’s not to love about this combination?! Hope some cooler weather makes its way to you soon – 110 sounds unbearable.

11. Wow, your pic looks so pretty next to the checkerboard plate. Wonderful post!!!

12. Michelle says:

That’s some hot weather. We just now hit 73 yesterday, rain today and in the 5os!
    Im glad you and your man enjoyed this dessert. It was so simple to make and so tasty!

13. Gosh, this is so much easier than making a whole shortcake – and gives you fewer leftovers, which, when baking for two, is a good thing! Looks great, Bridget!

14. Cathy says:

I bet that a little cake flour made these even more tender – great idea! And seriously, I want these for dinner – what didn’t I think of that? Your shortcakes look fabulous, and I’m glad you enjoyed them! Thank you so much for baking along with me this week!

15. Jodie says:

Hope they were refreshing! We’re still waiting for some hot weather!

16. Sounds like a delicious dinner to me :-)