dorie’s classic brownies

classic brownies dorie 6

The worst brownie I ever ate was on a layover at the Detroit airport. My flight was delayed, so obviously I deserved a treat. Despite my suspicion of the freshness and quality of desserts from coffee chains, I figured any chocolate was better than none.

classic brownies dorie 1

Except there was, essentially, no chocolate in this brownie. It goes to show how a little cocoa goes a long way in terms of color, but not so much with flavor. What a disappointment.

classic brownies dorie 2

This was not that brownie. This brownie is full of chocolate flavor. It isn’t chewy and it isn’t cakey, but I’m not sure fudgey is the word I would use to describe it either. It isn’t my favorite brownie – my favorite is taller and fluffier – but certainly wasn’t a disappointment.

classic brownies 4

Anne, who chose these brownies for Tuesdays with Dorie, has the recipe posted. The only changes I made were to add the salt (½ teaspoon) and espresso powder earlier in the process, with the melting chocolate, so they would dissolve and be perfectly evenly dispersed in the batter.

One year ago: Peach Upside-Downer
Two years ago: Chocolate Soufflé
Three years ago: Chocolate Chunkers

classic brownies dorie 5

Comments

1. Jessica says:

I haven’t made brownies in so long…and a true classic brownie may be just what I (do not) need!

2. cindy says:

I frosted them with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting–it was delicious. But I love most brownies.
    Have a great week.

3. Airport food is the worst. Great pics, as always.

4. Julie says:

Those look delicious! And I’d like to start nomming on the big chocolate block.

5. Nicole, RD says:

Are those square liners, or just look so perfect with a square brownie in them? Curious minds want to know :)

It’s hard to find a disappointing brownie, I agree…but everyone has a favorite. I prefer the really, really dense, fudgy ones with nuts and/or caramel. Mmm :)

Nicole – They’re actually just regular mini-cupcake liners! But they squashed down perfectly to fit a little square of brownie.

7. Anne says:

I love brownies in cupcake wrappers, they look so happy and like the perfect treat. Your pictures are beautiful and I can’t wait to read more about your favorite brownie.

8. yes, best to stick to a kit-kat or twix in the airport. these look pretty good, and perfect for a party in those little cups.

9. Margaret says:

Don’t you hate to be disappointed in a sweet treat when you really need one. These were not disappointing. Love them in their little papers.