nutty chocolately swirly sour cream bundt cake

I’ve got nothing against nuts and chocolate and currants, but you know what I really like best? Cake made with sour cream. For me, it always comes back to the purest form of flour plus butter plus sugar, and adding a tangy fatty dairy into the mix just makes things better. Usually that’s cream cheese, but I have nothing against sour cream either.

I’ve been doing a better job of reining in my batter-eating, but the few spoonfuls I had of this cake’s batter made me crave a bowl of the stuff, a quiet corner, and a cup of coffee. It also made me wish I had more sour cream cake. The swirl was fun, but all I really want is the cake part. Or the batter part.

Jennifer chose this for Tuesdays with Dorie, and she has the recipe posted. I actually didn’t change anything. I don’t think I even added more salt.

One year ago: Coco-Nana Muffins
Two years ago: Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread

Comments

1. tia says:

love it! yours unmolded perfectly . great job!

2. Piggy says:

Great pictures! Yours looks so yummy!

3. MMmmm. Sour cream cake is good stuff. Love the last pic showing the cut pieces.

4. Pamela says:

Love that last shot of the slices in different directions. This cake totally took me by surprise in the best way. So good!

5. Peggy says:

What artistic pictures! I tend to snap and eat.. . . .

6. Michelle says:

Holy cow how can you cut it so perfectly!? I love your cake…this is a winner!! My kids ate it up in 2 days!

7. I just made this and loved it…especially the batter part.

8. Nina says:

Cake looks wonderful and your photos are outstanding!! So with you on the sour cream…just used it in an orange cake = Heaven. Can’t wait to make this one.

9. Jodie says:

Look gorgeous. I love cakes with sour cream, too.

10. Love that last photo! Your cake looks absolutely perfect. :)

11. Karen says:

Pretty pictures! Your comments about the batter eating made me laugh. My daughter took the beater and closed her eyes and said “YUM”!

12. Julie says:

That’s lovely! I agree about the batter being delicious. I’m like that with chocolate chip cookies. I’d rather have fewer chips!

13. Jennifer says:

That cake is perfection! Thank you for baking along with me!

14. What a gorgeous cake! I need to get out Dorie’s book and make this one for sure! :)

15. Tracey says:

You pictures are really fun – nicely done! The batter was really good on this one. I got it into the oven as quickly as possible to avoid eating too much. I always leave just a little on the spatula though for the cook :)

16. that was tasty batter, but i’d love one of your perfect slices!